Rachel’s practice involves a wide variety of complex commercial litigation in federal and state courts, where she represents both plaintiffs and defendants. She has substantial experience in products liability and consumer protection matters, as well as in contract and business tort cases. Rachel’s peers have consistently recognized her as a Southern California Super Lawyers “Rising Star.”
Before joining Liang Ly LLP, Rachel practiced at Jones Day, in Los Angeles, California. Rachel has handled all phases of litigation, including trial preparation, oral argument, settlement negotiations, strategy formulation, and appeals, as well as internal investigations. Recently, Rachel was the lead associate defending ICANN (the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers) in a commercial dispute regarding control of the top-level .AFRICA domain. Rachel was also lead counsel defending a national credit reporting agency in several cases filed in federal court.
Rachel takes pride in mentoring new lawyers and is an Adjunct Professor at Southwestern Law School, where she teaches LawCareerLab, a course she developed to teach law students and recent graduates how to position themselves as desirable candidates and build meaningful connections in the profession.
- Obtained a favorable ruling for ICANN denying plaintiff’s request for a preliminary injunction.
- Secured a favorable settlement for global money transfer and payment services company in a contractual dispute.
- Represented American Apparel, Inc. in its chapter 11 cases, which filed for bankruptcy in October 2015. The plan was confirmed on January 25, 2016, and the company emerged from bankruptcy on February 5, 2016.
- Defended Experian Information Solutions, Inc. in connection with an investigation and lawsuit initiated by the Attorney General of Mississippi challenging Experian’s credit reporting and consumer marketing activities under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, the Mississippi Consumer Protection Act, and the Dodd-Frank Act. The lawsuit ultimately resulted in a favorable settlement.
- Obtained dismissal of multibillion-dollar statewide smokers’ class action against the major tobacco companies.
- Defended Pilatus Aircraft in aircraft accident cases filed in Los Angeles, California Superior Court. The cases were ultimately resolved in a favorable settlement.
- Represented a large manufacturer in the nationwide defense of product liability and personal injury lawsuits involving its off-road vehicle. Secured a complete defense verdict on behalf of the client following a three-month jury trial.
- Secured a $137,696 restitution award for three clients who were victims of human trafficking and forced labor.
- Business Litigation
- Product Liability
- Consumer Protection Litigation
- Bankruptcy Litigation
State Bar Admissions>v